BAND question

Alberto Micol Alberto.Micol at eso.org
Wed May 17 12:19:40 PDT 2006

Hi Doug,

I was trying to understand how I should
implement the search engine using the BAND parameter.

Suppose that the query says BAND := 5E-7/5.5E-7

I do have datasets in my archive with a bandpass extending from
4.8E-7 to 5.1E-7
and others with a bandpass going from 5.1E-7 to 5.4E-7.

The first set of datasets hence have a bandpass that intersects the
required one,
while the second set has a bandpass that is fully immersed into the
required BAND.

Which ones should I return? Both or only the second set?
That is, does intersection suffice?

Or instead should simply be the typical wavelength (central
wavelength however defined)
that should match the constraint? (in which case some datasets of my
first set might
match and others might not if their central wavelength is defined
differently)

So, shall the data provider work with BOUNDS or LOCATIONs (in char
speak) to answer
a BAND query?

Whatever the answer, it would be useful to describe this in the
document,
so that we get consistent results from different data centres.

Thanks,

Alberto