Comments on SSAP V0.95, UCDs

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 27 11:31:39 PDT 2006

Hi Gretchen -

This is NOT a complex hierarchical interface.  The idea with the query
response is that it is a flat table; each field has a UTYPE and other
tags (name, ucd, etc.).  UTYPE is just a simple fixed string, so to
access a field one can just do something like  getField(<utype>).
Hence you still have a simple direct reference, although there may
also be some logical structure behind what is presented.

Another way to look at it is that we have component data models with
some limited internal structure, however using the UTYPE mechanism
we can map everything to a flat name space, be it a VOTable, a hash
table, a parameter file, or whatever.  This makes things referentially
very simple but still provides some logical structure with reusable
components.

 	- Doug