Comments on SSAP V0.95, UCDs

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 27 11:01:29 PDT 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Randall Thompson wrote:

>   What I was hoping for was something equivalent to the
> UCDs POS_EQ_RA_MAIN and POS_EQ_DEC_MAIN defining
> the "primary" coordinates for a given observation, that would be included
> in the query results returned for any protocol. Will there be a single
> equivalent UTYPE I can use instead?
>   Randy

Yes - Assuming we still try to use characterization for this, probably it
will be provided by something like SpatialAxis.Coverage.Location.whatever.
If that proves too complex for something this fundamental (we still don't
know how to specify a coordinate at this level), we will define a special
field for this purpose with a fixed coordinate system reference frame,
as in the past.  Whatever is decided, it will be a well defined interface
element with a fixed UTYPE so that you can just look up the position
by its UTYPE string.