Comments on SSAP V0.95, UCDs

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 27 08:18:59 PDT 2006

The data models also have UTYPEs (you will see these in serialized data
that comes back for example), but an interface specification or protocol
supercedes these and specifies all aspects of the interface directly,
for just the sort of reason you refer to.  For a given version of the
protocol anything like this is fixed, and fully defined (the VOX UCDs
in SIA 1.0 are an example of this).  The only caveat is that one could
in principle "pass through" component data models in a query response,
but we don't currently do that; the interface is fully defined, in part
because the data models are evolving separately.

Note, cone search is different.  Since there is no data model for general
tables (at least not currently), all you see are the UCDs.  The closest
analogue to UTYPE for a general table is probably the field name assigned
by the creator, which probably does uniquely identify each table field.

	- Doug