Use case analysis for handling data cubes in VO

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:24:42 PST 2006

Hi,

>> TIME SERIES
>>
>> The draft appeals for more exampls of data, especially multi-dimensional
>> time-series data, which is why this is copied to people who are experts in
>> this.  I understand that one problem so far is the lack, in practical use,
>> of standardised time formats or tools to convert between formats.  I can't
>> believ that it is any more difficult than providing tools for converting
>> between the various bizarre celestial coordinates, just that no-one has
>> done it yet.

Ian McCrea from RAL brought up an interesting point at an AstroGrid solar
/ STP meeting yesterday; in some STP time series, the time intervals
within a single time series might not all be the same length. (For
example, point 0 at 0 seconds, point 1 at 10 seconds, point 2 at 47
seconds, etc). There's potentially a case for the same thing with SDO data
in 3 years' time  as one of the instruments can optionally take data at
half cadence (but only half the CCD pixels are read), or observers can
choose 8 out of 10 channels in any one observation cycle. Either case
would lead to weird time series data for a specific channel on this SDO
instrument.

Tricky!

Elizabeth

--