IVOA Line Data Model doc version 0.5

setoka at jupiter.phy.umist.ac.uk setoka at jupiter.phy.umist.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 05:58:47 PST 2006

        Dear Pedro,

        I read through the Line Data Model you sent and I think I spotted
some mistakes that may disturb the reader who try like me to get a graps
of the data model:

In the example you give 4.1.1 for the values given for the numerator and
denominator for the FINAL level for J and F1 (current page 27)

you have to permute the values given for J and F1 since the final state of
the exemple is : J,F1,F = 0 1 2

Also you've got 'glue-paste' 'propagated errors' for all but the first 4
fieds concerning the FINAL LEVEL description that is starting from the
final field for the QuantumNumber J (and propagated onwards in the
description of the finalLevel F1 and F) :

line.initialLevel.quantumState.quantumNumber.denominatorValue := 1
     ^^^^^^^

instead of :

line.finalLevel.quantumState....
     ^^^^^

The line.wavelength given disturbes me too (in 2.2.1.5
line.wavelength p.7 is defined as the wavelength in the vacuum
of the transition originating the line). Isn't it supposed to be the
wavelength of the transition ? That is (in SI units) according to Table 1:

[\lambda]=c/[nu]=(3x10^8)/(92176.2650x10^6)= 3.2197040x10{-3} meter

or is that (supposed to be) the difference between the wavelength in
vacuum and that in air ? Or the airWavelength (but in that case in which
unit ?)

I ask so because in the UML instantion diagram (page 29) the value
returned is actually airWavelength.

Also there are other mismatches between the pseudo-code given page 27-28
and the UML instantiation diagram page 29 :
the quantumSate.origin1 and quantumState.origin2 for the initialLevel
for F are not the same.

There are 'reverse speach-marks' (,, instead of ") all the way through
page 31 for the second example 4.2 and mismatches between the pseudo-code
given page 31 and what is displayed in the UML instantiation diagram page
32. In particular:
        between the numeratorValue:
        both equal to 1 in the initialLevel and finalLevel of the pseudo-code
        while  equal to 2 in the UML

        between the quantumNumber.type:
        equating "nPrincipal" both for the initialLevel and finalLevel of the pseudo-code
        while princile QN in the UML

                                        Sandra.
Dr. Sandra ETOKA                         Astrophysics Group
ALMA Archive Scientist                   School of Physics and Astronomy
tel : 44 (0)161 306 3671                 The University of Manchester
fax : 44 (0)161 306 4303                 Sackville Street
email : setoka at jupiter.phy.umist.ac.uk   P.O. box 88
web : jupiter.phy.umist.ac.uk/~setoka/   Manchester M60 1QD - UK