SSA UTYPES

Alberto Micol Alberto.Micol at eso.org
Tue Dec 19 10:42:16 PST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 19:07, Doug Tody wrote:

> The motivation for this is that we would like to use most of the
> same metadata for other DAL interfaces (at this level very little is
> specific to spectra),

Yes, though I would distinguish between the current phase (SSA V1)
and a subsequent phase (let's call it V2 for the sake of a name).

If I get the picture right, the main goal of V2 should be
to unify SSA and SIA by using a common underneath data model
(probably the characterisation dm), allowing thus common metadata
to describe n-dimensional data, being them spectra, images, data
cubes, etc.

In V1 if I'm not wrong, the agreement is that SSA is based on the
Spectrum DM 1.0.
The idea being to reach fast SSA1.0, leaving to the next version the
role
of unifying things.

Basically I see V1 and V2 as well defined and intrinsically different.

Instead, reading SSA0.97 I get the impression that SSA1.0 will
be somewhere in between V1 and V2; and there is where my difficulty
originates. To state it clearly I think that SSA1.0 should
use Spectrum DM 1.0 as is (where possible of course), and not
deviate from it, as instead proposed in that 3.3.6 paragraph,
or as alluded in the Appendix 1 "Mixed Service".

> plus at this level we prefer to have the UTYPEs
> rooted in each component data model.  Hence, a UTYPE is something like
> "ssa:Target.Name".

So, the answer to my question was that it is an ssa name space then?!

Thanks,

Alberto