DAL sessions in Victoria

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 26 12:11:56 PDT 2006

Ultimately we will need ADQL for fully-expressive general queries, however
soemthing like a set of time intervals is more readily handled by a
specialized range-list syntax (i.e., a parameter) than by a parsed
language.  This is needed for both the spectral and time axes and is
essentially the same problem for both, although we probably want to
maximize compatibility with ISO 8601 for the time axis.  The problem
with the spatial axis is similar but in the general case requires
that a set of regions be specified, e.g., using STC regions probably
specified via a document uploaded by the client.  Software to query
based on such a region specification is already being developed.
Query by time regions is something which has been done for years for
high energy data, which consists of time-tagged events.   - Doug