DAL sessions in Victoria

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 26 12:02:46 PDT 2006

Hi Silvia -

The basic SIAP query for the next version will be very similar to
the basic query defined for SSA - where we are headed is to make
the "generic dataset" metadata and query parameters the same for
all DAL interfaces.  In particular, the minimal query will permit
data selection based on the physical measurement axes which all
data shares: the spatial, spectral, and time axes (what to do about
things like polarization is still TBD).

As soon as one has multiple dataset attributes to query, there are many
valid queries and any of these become optional.  Hence POS,SIZE will
become optional for client queries, and services will be required to
support at least TIME and BAND as well as POS,SIZE,FORMAT.  There are
additonal new query parameters as well, e.g., minimum resolution in
any axis, or the object name especially for moving objects (these
more advanced parameters are generally optional for the service).

Despite the name, SSA is intended to support time series.  Both spectra
and time series are a photometric sequence; the spectral coordinate
is the variable for spectra, while for time series the time coordinate
varies, but most aspects of the data model are the same for both.

> I think that enabling some degree of interoperability between
> Astronomy and Solar System VOs is important. The science

I agree that we should encourage this, particularly at the level of
the technical infrastructure, recognizing that the data can often be
quite different in the different domains.

 	- Doug