SED FITS Serialisation: multi-extension?

Ivo Busko busko at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 16 05:40:41 PDT 2005

Doug Tody wrote:

<snip>

> While I agree that data model extensions will always be needed for special
> cases, if cases such as you mention here are important enough we should
> add it to the data model.  There is already support in there for background
> subtracted data.
>
>         - Doug

There is a point here that perhaps should be taken into account when
evolving the SED Data Model into its next incarnation. The SED Data
Model 0.93 document states:

"The BackgroundModel array is required to have the same UCD and
units as the Flux array."

This is not the case with legacy data such as IUE and STIS. In these,
background data is expressed in uncalibrated units such as DN or
counts/s. The SED DM should be more flexible and allow such data to
be included in the SED-formated spectrum.

-Ivo

 *  Ivo C. Busko, PhD                        e-mail: busko at stsci.edu *
 *  Senior Systems Software Engineer                                 *
 *  Astronomy Tools and Applications                                 *
 *  Engineering and Software Services Division  Voice: (410)338-4472 *
 *  Space Telescope Science Institute             FAX: (410)338-4767 *
 *  3700 San Martin Drive                                            *
 *  Baltimore MD 21218-2410  USA                                     *