SED FITS Serialisation: multi-extension?

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Mon Jun 13 05:23:07 PDT 2005

Hi Alberto,

Would you mind specifying which parts of either the spectral DM doc ...

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IVOADMSpectraWP

or the SSA interface doc. ...

http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2005DAL/ssa-v090.pdf

... triggered particular thoughts?

For instance, what is meant by a "VOTABLE accompanying the SED"?
There is going to be a VOTable query response, but the serialization can
either be an XML or VOTable document or a FITS binary table.

The scope is 1d spectra and time series. Are you suggesting to expand
this for V1.0 of the two docs?

Remember, we are trying to serialize a DM. So, are your suggestions
aiming at expanding the DM or the way its implemented (serialized)?

 > Conclusions: I see only advantages in adopting MEF, am I biased?

Does it mean to give up on serializing a particular DM and to use
existing formats instead?

BTW, the next step on the roadmap is to unify access to images, spectra
and catalogues by means of ADQL.

This is just to better understand your comments that you thankfully took
the time to put down.

Cheers,
Markus