TOP and SCORE

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Wed Jul 27 01:54:38 PDT 2005

My understanding is that SCORE is a measure of the relevance of a
matching record relative to the other records in the result set (and
there has been some discussion about calling it RANKING instead).

An example:

input:  TOP=3
output: SCORE={7.5, 76.3, 0.003}

In this example SCORE is expressing the fact that the expected relevance
of the records with respect to the query parameters is very different.
Hence, in this context it is certainly useful.

Patrick Dowler wrote:
 > PS-To be complete, we could also have BOTTOM, because sometimes you
 > want to get the worst results :-)

In order to implement Pat's suggestion I propose to use negative
integers for expressing BOTTOM, e.g., ...

TOP=-3

... to list the three least relevant records.

Greetings,
Markus