Transfer of large data

Andreas Wicenec awicenec at eso.org
Thu Jul 21 02:20:32 PDT 2005

Hi Masahiro,

during our development for the ALMA dataflow to the ALMA archive we
encountered the same problems and we found the
following solution, which gives us a performance of up to 96 MB/s on a
Gigabit Ethernet connection.

We are using both HTTP and Corba based AV streaming where the payload
is in both cases a message with mime-type
multipart/related. One of the parts (the first in fact) is a VOTable,
which points to binary attachments within
the same message. You can find a more detailed description along with
an example application and message file under
http://almasw.hq.eso.org/almasw/bin/view/Archive/VOTableDataTransfer. I
actually made a proposal for some very small
modifications in VOTable, which would make the integration of such
message files even simpler, but unfortunately
that was rejected at the time, maybe we should try again.

The other point is that Apache Axis is not implemented to support
streaming as this would probably solve the main
issues you found.

Andreas