Handling data cubes in VO

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 26 15:01:39 PST 2005

On Dec 26, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Arnold Rots wrote:
> Part of this, especially item 5, is really a DM discussion.
> David Berry proposed that the relation between physical coordinate
> axes and pixel coordinates is really a transformation between two
> separate coordinate systems (and provided an implementation).

There is as always a decision about where to stop on the road to
complexity. The first stage is to make the subscripts real with linear
interpolation, so that W(3.2) is defined to be 0.8*W(3)+0.2*W(4). Next
we could offer a choice of interpolation schemes. Next we can identify
a transformation to a physical coordinate (linear and log axes etc). We
can have subscripts for both independent and dependent quantities --
irregularly spaced data.

I guess I would want to keep things as simple as possible, get a solid
implementation and users, and only add sophistication when a real
genuine use case -- or two or three -- scream their heads off and
demand more complexity. That's just how I would do it.

Roy

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670