Handling data cubes in VO

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Mon Dec 26 07:14:21 PST 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Arnold Rots wrote:

> Access to 3-D cubes requires a single generalized interface.
> Otherwise you are going to (a) confuse the users and (b) fail to cover
> some cases.
>
> The access model is simply: everything - full cube, cut-out cube
> (including those with only one pixel along one or more axes),
> all possible transpositions, 2-D slices along any plane in three
> dimensions, 1-D slices along any curve in 3 dimensions.

don't you also need to consider higher order cubes? In radio astronomy
4D cubes, with polarization data, aren't that uncommon. Normally the
IQUV (or whichever) data are stored in different cubes, but imagine
if they are on the 'pixel' level. I could imagine theory data popping
up like that one day.

  - peter