Handling data cubes in VO

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Sat Dec 24 00:38:34 PST 2005

Hi Doug and others,

    A short answer to this 3D initiative report Doug,

    For the protocol to handle 3D Cubes I agree that SIA could easily
extend to evenly sampled data cubes.
    But there has been a meeting in Marseille a couple of monthes ago
organised by Phillipe Prugniel who adressed the problem of the IFU
data. There are plans to integrate some test archives in the vO as SSA
services. Because those kind of data are better described as set of
spectra...

    The access model in SIA/SSA should be multiple: either full data
retrieval , or various kind of cutouts ( slices, spectra or smaller
cubes as you propose). I think we need something like a real modelizing
effort on the acces and views to a given data set.

     As mentioned by Anita, there has been a CADC/CDS development for CGPS
which illustrates ( for slices access mode only at the moement) the
concept of a server which distributes parts of a 3D dataset interfaced
with a VO-client (here Aladin). It has been designed as an implementation
of the SIA extension concept (one observation -> several access and views)
It is on line and working since six monthes
  See : http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cgps/navigate.html

Best regards to all.
François

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr