FITS Serialization Questions for SSAP 0.93

Randall Thompson rthomp at stsci.edu
Wed Apr 13 13:21:49 PDT 2005

We are continuing to work on producing SSAP-compatible FITS files
for MAST and HST.  A  few questions came up in the process.

1) Most of our spectral FITS files have general parameters stored in the
primary
 headers (e.g., DATE) and I was hoping to leave these intact when
creating the new
versions. Does the SSAP require the specified keywords to appear in the
extension
headers? Obviously some are required there.

2)  We have at least 3 missions containing echelle spectra. Typically
each spectral
order has a different number of data points. I assume the recommended
way to store these would be as multiple rows in a binary table using
variable length
arrays.  Is this correct? Do you recommend any format which would not
require the
use of variable length arrays (other than writing them to separate
files)? I was wondering
for example about using padded zeroes to store multiple orders in a
single binary table,
or having multiple binary table extensions, one for each spectral order.

3) I know the SED data model paper is not yet complete, but it would be
useful to
have more information on defining the listed FITS keywords (e.g., the
curation and WCS
entries).

Randy