scope of SIA schema

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Mon Mar 29 05:33:14 PST 2004

Hi Ray,

What's the scope of the SIA schema definition http://www.ivoa.net/xml/SIA/ ?

I simply assume that you were involved producing it and therefore my question
to you:

In which context should it be used?
- When encoding SIA query mode response?
- As response to a registry query?

And, how about extending it to work also with SSA? The number of additional
elements should be marginal.

The main issue I'm not clear about is the following, but I'm sure you and Doug
have thought of it before:

The SIA query mode (and presumably SSA query mode) returns a VOTable that
requires special client software to parse it. The question is whether we can
avoid this in future by re-using things like the VOResource in the SIA/SSA
query mode context. It seems, however, that the given SIA schema is weaving in
what I would call registry-type components (VOResource, VODataService) PLUS SIA
specific elements. The presence of the Schema suggests that SIA servers and
clients need to support all of it(?)

Maybe I'm confusing things here, but anyway, the SIA and SSA docs that we are
preparing for the upcoming NVO + interop meetings need to describe such
dependencies.

Markus