Spectrum Data Model Implementation

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 7 11:50:16 PDT 2004

Hi Tamas -

(I am traveling BTW, and may be online only periodically through Weds)

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Tamas Budavari wrote:
> > The most recent version of the SSA data model I am aware of (V0.5) is
> > the one on the DAL wiki page from the Boston meeting, at
> >
> >     http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2004DAL/spec2.pdf
>
> Super! We'll try to get the new version running in web services and post
> the new xml schema as soon as possible. We'll be including the requested
> fixes and will try to follow the latest draft best as we can while
> following the xsd standards.

Note that V0.5 is the pre-Interop version, and does not yet reflect the
discussions we had at the Interop meetings.  It is the most recent version
currently available though.

> Two quick questions:
>  - Shouldn't TABDATA be TABLEDATA?

Right.  The VOTable serialization in the document is just a sketch and
is dated - I don't think it fully reflects the current data model and the
version shown in the document also has problems with XML formatting.

>  - I don't see right now how I put in more SEDs for an object.
>    Where is the list?

For a SED there is a SED descriptor object plus 1 or more Spectrum or
timeSeries objects (the SED segments).  Note there is a distinction between
SED, Spectrum, and TimeSeries services - they are based on the same data
model but are distinct services.  Hence if you are implementing a Spectrum
service, you do not have to know about SEDs, and the service can merely
return a Spectrum object.