SED data model v0.92

Ed Shaya edward.j.shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 6 07:32:11 PST 2004

Gilles,

   Yes.  The schema should certainly allow for upper and lower limits
alone (flux.detectionThreshold is fine in spectra and images, and one
may need another thing for saturation level which results in knowledge
of only an upper limit).  It is necessary for both legacy data in which
the value and error are simply lost forever and for experiments in which
there is no clearcut algorithm to estimate a value.

Our disagreement amounts to the fact that I would encourage the observer
to use value and error if at all possible, and you seem to encourage use
of the fluxDetectionThreshold.  In the end, it is not up to us anyway.
  It would be up to the observer/experimenter to decide which is
appropriate.

Ed