A note on a possible extension to SIAP

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Apr 20 16:04:27 PDT 2004

Hi Roy,

   My answer is you could go on the same way.

   Both the VILSPA people and us tried to propose something backward
compatible with SIA 1.0 and I suppose SIA 1.1 .
   We remembered the "Keep it simple" you shouted in Strasbourg DAL
meeting.

   Let's say the kind of stuff we are proposing belongs to  a
   SIA 2:
    SIA 2 interfaces will have to interpret both SIA 1 and SIA 2

    SIA 1 interfaces will find in SIA 2  a standard first table (except a few
"free" new fields) and will just have to ignore the remaining tables
and resources.

    Many people think we need more structure coming from data models
in DAL (see Alberto's answer for example)

 The only alternative to making SIA evoluate in the future is to define
a new more general DAL protocol (Doug suggested GIA for that).

Cheers
François

SAUVONS LA RECHERCHE :  <http://recherche-en-danger.apinc.org/>

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr