A note on a possible extension to SIAP

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 20 09:37:08 PDT 2004

>      Human Interaction or Computer Interoperability?

Thank you Alberto, good question. In fact, maybe we could broaden the
question to the one we should start with -- What are the Use Cases for SIAP?

Here is one at least.

I have invested some time in building software that gets its data through
SIAP (Atlasmaker). I am worried that these new schemes will force me to do a
lot of recoding.

Currently, my code gets the VOTable response from the SIAP and looks for the
first table in the first resource. (Else fail).

In the table, it looks for the UCDs for RA, Dec, URL, and Format, and then
dereferences all the URLs that have the right values of RA, Dec, and Format.

Please Pedro and Francois, can you supply an alternate logic that I would
use if your schemes were to be accepted?

Roy