Data service types

martin hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 17 09:29:31 PDT 2003

Hi all

One thing that didn't seem very clear from the meetings was what DAL was all
about.  We talked about the technicalities of two particular services: Images
and Spectra, but the rather larger set including stellar catalogues and other
databases of information wasn't considered (as if we didn't have enough to
talk about!).

Are we assuming just now that we are working on three services: images (SIAP
as cutout and 'as-stored'), spectra (SSA in early stages) and stellar
catalogues (as SkyNode2, being defined)?  As an Astrogrid datacenter developer
I need to know who I should be talking to about making sure things are
compatible! Will & I have already been talking, but if the group feels that
SkyNode2 will be the *defining* interface for ADQL-querying VO datacenters,
and NVO Cone Searches for http/get VO datacenters, then we shall happily work
towards that (and provide input to that!).  If not we need to know!  We have
now 3 astrogrid datacenters running in various versions, and by Christmas
expect to have around 6-10 homogenous, so we need to know...!

Also a suggestion that I think came up somewhere in the meeting, that we make
the formats of the http/get urls similar.  This (might?) save having to use
template urls (if that's what was meant by them).  For example, at the moment
the SIAP uses a comma to separate RA/DEC, whereas NVO cone search specifies
them explicitly.

Finally (really) I would also like to find out here what services people want
to publish to the VO and some idea of the structure of that data, so we can
build an overall picture of what the VO is likely to be serving.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Hill