spectral WCS in FITS

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 10:39:39 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Markus Dolensky wrote:

> > However
> > unless I ahve misunderstood the debate, there is no question that the data
> > _can_ be handled, it is simply a question of how,
>
> The question is whether we can perform the conversion between VOTable and FITS
> format using off the shelve tools (XSLT). If not we need to write Astronomy
> specific parsers which 'understand' the data whereas we would prefer to apply
> just syntax rules instead.
>
> Markus

For FITS to VOTable, there is also the tool being developed by VO India
http://vo.iucaa.ernet.in/~voi/votableStreamWriter.htm
which is indended to eventually cope with FITS.

But what about the reverse? That is more difficult, surely?

cheers

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AVO Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).