spectral WCS in FITS

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 04:42:30 PST 2003

Dear All,

I am not sure if I agree with Bob's point, as it seems to me that part of
the purpose of VOTable is to do things which it is more suited to than
FITS, and to provide extra metadata where FITS is inadequate (i.e. the
bulk of existing data which have unfortunately for one reason or another
not fully complied with standards even where they existed...).  However it
might be relevant to look at the tool for importing data including FITS
and plain ascii TSV, CSV etc. tables into VOTable which Pallavi Kulkani of
VO India is developing alongside CDS and VOPlot.  Also, what is being
developed for the ALMA archive? Andreas Wisnec mentioned how they are
using VOTable to store FITS metadata.  This seems to me more efficient
than trying to make FITS do everything.

Put another way, there is certainly the need for a standard, but that
should be independent of how it is implimented to describe FITS, VOTable,
ascii or whatever.

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AVO Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).