[Quality] another can of worms

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 21 13:51:18 PST 2003

Martin Hill wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been wondering what to do about quality, and how to describe it.
>
> We have a general one - if we allow anyone to publish to the VO, how
> do we describe a datacenter's quality?  There are datacenters setup
> for a sky survey, with all the processing involved that has been set
> up by teams of astronomers (presumably?) double checking each other.
> And there is data published by a small group or an individual so that
> people can access it, but which has not gone through such a rigorous
> set of tests.  We don't really want a general query to the registry
> returning both as 'equals value' (or do we?).

I share your worry about inaccurate in error bars slipping in. But, if
we try to fully answer this question we will be embroiled in politics
and the NSF has funded the NVO project with the hope that it would not
be 100% politics.  We should focus on more technical issues.  The most
expedient thing to do is to allow all to publish and trust error bars.
Creating a system that can properly handle data with error bars is both
novel and comlicated enough.

Query responses should carry information on the origin of any data
unless explicitly told not to.  Then as a separate effort (perhaps IAU
backed)  examine rational ways to censure data.  We should keep in mind
when developing metadata standards that we have sufficient information
to create automated means of hunting for an eliminating poor data or
poor quality determinations.

> We also have a smaller scale one - each item of data may need to be
> marked.  For example, a sky survey may have items that have been
> marked as 'possibly satellite track' or 'instrument feature' (is that
> the word? such as diffraction spikes?)

One can provide for a Note to be added at any level down to the
individual pixel.  A single Note can be referenced many times for reuse
in a document.  A Note can carry  a pixel list that indicates where in
the data it applies.   This concept should be carried into the Data
Model in general.  Notes can hold any string but it could be mixed with
elements.  The Metadata group could perhaps work on some standard
elements for common notes like <cosmic ray hit/>, <cirrus/>,
<telescopeBumbedtheConsole/> or <diffraction spike />