A Virtual Observatory Data Model

Ed Shaya edward.j.shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 13 12:53:36 PDT 2003

Frank,

    I see now that resolution is not cleanly described as a probability
function on the pixels,
since it is a rough description of the PSF which was convolved with the
perfect image to create the observed image.  There are varying degrees
of descriptions for the PSF:
1) A FWHM for each axis.  Mention of whether to use a Gaussian or an
Airy disk would be nice.
2) Same as 1 but different values for different parts of the 4DBin Object.
3) A 4D PSF. this would probably be a URL to a 4DBin Object
4) Same as 3 but a different PSF for different parts of the 4DBin Object.

The cross-talk that I mention could be handled somewhat like the
resolution.  It is different however, because in this case it is a
function of the location on the pixel.  A cusp centered on a pixel will
blur less than a cusp centered near the edge of the pixel.  PSF
convolution does not work that way.

Ed
PS - I have to run off to the Cambridge meeting right now.  Still to
come, how to put the
list of describing elements of the 4DBin object into XML.