Simple Spectral Access use cases

posuna at iso.vilspa.esa.es posuna at iso.vilspa.esa.es
Mon Jun 30 05:06:18 PDT 2003

Dear Doug,

here you have our 1-D spectral data as provided by our Archive
Scientists:

XMM-Newton 1D Scpectral Data
----------------------------

     - Data provider name
        ESA XMM Science Data Archive

      - Spectral data collections from this source
	1. automatic pipeline high-resolution spectra for the Reflection
           Grating Spectrometer (RGS) instrument
	2. medium resolution European Photon Imaging Camera (EPIC) spectra for
           each source of the XMM-Newton Serendipitous Source
           Catalogues, both automatically (pipeline) and interactively
           (XSA user interface) produced      - Characteristics of data
           (number of spectra, size, irregularly
            sampled,nonsampled(as in HE/UV) multiple flux arrays,
            variance arrays, etc.)

      - Characteristics of data (number of spectra, size, irregularly
        sampled,nonsampled (as in HE/UV) multiple flux arrays,
        variance arrays, etc.)

	1.
	* Number of spectra (at the end of the mission): ~20000
 	* Size: ~50 KBytes each, ~4096 spectral channels, uniformly and
		  linearly sampled in energy
 	* Resolution: 200-800, in the energy range 0.35-2.5 keV
 	* Data structure: 1-D spectra in CHANNELS/COUNTS
 	* Type of data: background subtracted source and background
		  spectrum for the 1st and 2nd order. Spectra are **not** in
		  physical units, and need an observation dependent transfer
		  matrix(available through the XMM-Newton pipeline products) to
		  be analyzed. Fluxed spectra in physical units available as
		  well, but not usable for quantitative science analysis.

	2.

 	* Number of spectra (at the end of the mission): ~1500000
 	* Size: ~30-200 KBytes each, 800-4096 spectral channels,
		  uniformly and linearly sampled in energy
 	* Resolution: 20-50, in the energy range 0.35-15 keV
 	* Type of data: source and background spectrum. Spectra are
		  **not** in physical units, and need an observation dependent
		  transfer matrix(**not** available through the XMM-Newton
		  pipeline products) to be analyzed. Plan to provide fluxes
		  spectra in physical units under study * Data structure: 1-D
		  spectra in CHANNELS/COUNTS * Tables: fluxes (in 5 different
		  energy bands), hardness ratios for each individual source

     - Current data storage format
        FITS

      - Is the data available online?
        Yes:
        a) Through a User Interface at:
           http://xsa.vilspa.esa.es/xsa/
        b) Through HTTP directly at:
           http://xsa.vilspa.esa.es:8080/aio/doc/

      - Other comments

ISO 1D Spectral Data
--------------------

    - Data provider name
        ESA ISO Science Data Archive

      - Spectral data collections from this source
        ISO Data Archive (IDA)

      - Characteristics of data (number of spectra, size, irregularly
        sampled,nonsampled (as in HE/UV) multiple flux arrays,
        variance arrays, etc.)

        ~10,000 files, containing spectra at resolutions ranging
         from 40 to 30,000, in the wavelength range of 2.4 to 197
	 micron. Irregularly sampled. File size average 700 KB
	 (compressed).

      - Current data storage format
        FITS

      - Is the data available online?