UCD for SIAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:13:10 PDT 2003

Roy -

I don't think we are actually very far apart on this.  The main thing I
am trying to do is determine how to deal with data models in DAL headers
such as for SIA.

An SIA contains two types of information all collected together in a flat
votable:

    - Attributes which are part of the SIA interface (e.g., AccessReference).

    - Attributes which are part of formal data models which are mapped
      into the columns of the table, e.g., BandPass, WCS.  The current
      SIA defines these as part of the interface but in principle what
      you see represents formally defined data models which are defined
      external to SIA.

The SIA interface attributes could use standard UCDs (e.g., DATA_LINK)
since the SIA interface is a controlled namespace and we can precisely
defined what UCDs mean when present in an SIA votable.

The data model attributes are something different.  In general we might
want to use any set of data models to define the attributes of a dataset
described by a DAL service.  A data model like BandPass or WCS should stand
on its own, and be reusable in various contexts, e.g., any DAL service,
or any VOTable (or VO-in-FITS) representation of a dataset.  If we map
the attributes of a data model into the columns of a VOtable (or the
keywords of a FITS header) then the attributes need to be uniquely named
so that they don't get confused with one another, so that we can verify
data model integrity (no missing required attributes), and so forth.

Some mechanism is needed to uniquely and unambiguously identify the
attributes of a data model in such a context.  It doesn't have to be the
UCD, but this seems to be a natural extension of the UCD concept and usage.

Your suggested UCDs for BandPass are close to what is needed, since they
are basically direct one-to-one mappings of the data model attributes.
We just need to go one step further and define a formal relationship between
such UCDs and data model attributes.

I went back and looked at your slides from the IVOA workshop again to see
what I could learn.  The summary slide goes like this:

    UCD is inherently fuzzy
    UCD is a description, not a unique name
    UCD will be eventually replaced by
	"pointers into data model"

It seems to me this is exactly what we have been talking about.
Conventional UCDs are fuzzy tags used to associate similar data elements.
If we use a UCD to tag an attribute of a data model this UCD is a **pointer
into a data model**.  If we then go and look up the definition of this
data model, it may state that the pointed-to DM attribute in turn has a
UCD defining its "type", allowing it to be associated with other similar
data elements in the more conventional UCD way.

It is not clear if UCDs really need to be replaced by a new scheme
providing pointers into data models - they come pretty close to this
already.  This is what SIA is trying to do; some such scheme is needed
to represent data models in DAL protocols like SIA, even for these early
versions.

Well that's it for me for a while as I am about to leave on travel.
I do think we are close to resolving this, and maybe even taking a
step forward towards integrating data models and metadata via UCDs.
We would like to do something more standard for these new "data model"
UCDs in the upcoming DAL interfaces.

	- Doug