IVOA WG data access layer

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Fri Apr 4 03:24:45 PST 2003

Clive, my view is pretty much the same.

Clive Page wrote:
> I assume that this group assumes that the VOTable format solves the
> problems of returning tabular data (for the present).  I would have
> thought that spectroscopic and time series data could also be expressed in
> tabular form, so the extension of VOTable to cover them was just a matter
> of adding the necessary metadata, or is this just betraying my lack of
> experience in these areas?

Indeed, one could create some VOTable templates with UCDs that describe
spectra, SEDs, you name it. The actual data could be either embedded in
<TABLEDATA> elements or in some external FITS table extension. It might
not be a huge challenge.

> I have a question also about the scope of this WG: is it just for the data
> returned from an archive query, or does it include the query format also?
> I note that the SIA(P) spec does specify the query format (section 4).  I
> think we discussed in the Strasbourg meeting last year whether VOTable
> should cover queries or not, and decided against as it is a difficult area
> in which to reach agreement.  But the question of an AQL (or VOQL) must be
> tackled some time, and we are interested in it.

The actual query could be based on a TBD VOQL for which there is another
WG. In case you are not familiar with the 6 WGs. There's a Wiki page for
each of them here http://www.ivoa.net/intranet/ as well as a one mailing
list for each {dm,dal,registry,ucd,voql,votable}@ivoa.net (and this
message is CC'd to the relevant one). Data modelers (DM) provide the
necessary definitions and data structures. The registry is our
directory. Meta data are dealt with in the UCD group. VOQL provides a
query mechanism and the data format is VOTable.

>>It looks like we'll have a WG meeting May 14, but probably we'll start
>>already on Tue May 13. It is really up to us. (Forget Nic's agenda - it
>>was just to make people start doing things, which worked as one can see.)
>

> OK, I am assuming that I shall have to be in Cambridge for nearly all that
> week (fortunately I live not too far away).

Yes, please.

Markus

+---
| Markus Dolensky   Mailto:Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
| AVO Technical Lead          Web: www.euro-vo.org
| Voice: ++49 89 32006/261  Fax: ++49 89 32006/480
+---