HiPS: blank lines in properties files

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Sep 14 09:58:53 CEST 2023

Dear HiPS provider,

You're right. The possible use of separator lines in the properties file
avoids the simple concatenation of files when creating the associated
Hips list. We could prohibit this possibility - in the IVOA HiPS
document - but implementing such a recommendation now will probably be
difficult to obtain from all HiPS providers in a short even medium term.
On the other hand, it is relatively easy to remove unnecessary empty
lines when generating the Hips list. This is the method usually used by
HiPS providers. For your help, there is a small perl script
<http://aladin.cds.unistra.fr/hips/perl_hipslist> available from CDS
HiPS page that does this easily.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of problem
Best regards
Pierre Fernique