VOTLib, VOTCli, VOTWasm: back and forth VOTable/JSON/TOML/YAML conversions with a command line tool, a wasm module or a Rust library.

Francois-Xavier PINEAU francois-xavier.pineau at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Oct 7 09:53:51 CEST 2022

Dear Applications Working Group,

This message to announce the very first version (not yet production ready)
of a VOTable library able to read/write VOTables and convert them in
several formats: XML (IVOA standard), JSON, TOML and YAML.

The way we implement JSON/TOML/YAML serializations is open to discussion
(our goal was to be able to get back almost the original XML VOTable:
comments are lost, attribute order may change if the orginal VOTable
was produced by another tool, but elements order (INFO, COOSYS, GROUP, ...)
is preserved).

The code is open source and can be found here:
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-votable-rust

We so far supports VOTable 1.3 and 1.4.

A CLI is available:
 > pip install votable-cli
 > vot xml json --pretty --intput MY_VOTABLE.xml
See
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-votable-rust/tree/main/crates/cli
or
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-votable-rust/releases/tag/v0.1.0-alpha

A WASM module is also available here:
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-votable-rust/releases/download/v0.1.0-alpha/vot-wasm-v0.1.0-alpha.tar.gz
see
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-votable-rust/tree/main/crates/wasm
to convert a XML/JSON/TOML/YAML VOTable file in a Javascript Object
and back to a XML/JSON/TOML/YAML VOTable file.

Best regards,

FX Pineau