VOTable enhancement (easy)

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 13 09:09:51 CEST 2021

Hi Pat,

I think the "easy" is a bit over-optimistic here, since:

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:43:00AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> Over in the DataLink discussions about adding params to other content-type
> values (eg in the content_type column), we found out that this really goes
> against the spirit of the mime type RFC 2045 and that params should be
> defined by the spec that owns the type. So, this is a request for VOTable
> to add an allowed mime type parameter content that other specs can define
> values for. It would thus be open ended but clients would know to

...for all I know you can't write a specification for x- media types,
which are only intended for internal or temporary use.

Hence, what we'd need to do is register a proper media type
(application/votable+xml, I'd suspect).  Of course, we should have
done that ages ago.  I'd still be happy to start that now if a few
other people were on board.

        -- Markus