VOTable multi-dimensional arrays too restrictive

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 15:02:01 CET 2021

Hi all,

Before we start considering new data types that embed whole JSON or XML
fragments into fields, perhaps it might be worth considering a string
data type first.

A real text string data type, a variable length string of UTF8
characters, would go along way to solve the word list and many other
text related use cases.

The word list then just becomes an array of strings.

     datatype="text" arraysize="*"

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

--------