reg.g-vo.org DNS change

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 10 14:27:35 CET 2021

Dear Apps, Dear Registry,

The DNS name of reg.g-vo.org, the RegTAP endpoint many of you use,
has been resolved from Amazon's DNS up to a few minutes ago.  Because
reg.g-vo.org has a short TTL, it is queried rather frequently, and so
the many nameservers Amazon operates in many places have been a clear
benefit.

However, for somewhat crazy reasons I had to move away from Amazon
DNS, at least for now.  While I'm confident that the new nameserver
operator (Hetzner) is about as reliable, I could imagine that
resolving reg.g-vo.org *might* be noticeably slower than it has been,
in particular as you move away from Europe latency-wise.  If you or
your users experience something like that, please let me know.

Of course, if you observe anything else that might be connected to
the change of DNS providers, I'm grateful for a heads-up; my
hope so far is that nobody will notice anything.

           -- Markus