Solar System resources in the VO

JBerthier jerome.berthier at obspm.fr
Fri Feb 15 00:58:52 CET 2019

Hi all,

On 2/12/19 12:12 PM, Pierre Fernique wrote:

> Dear Ssig, Apps and VESPA members
>
> As you probably saw, we have more and more Solar System resources
> available in the VO.
> This is a really good news (notably hanks to Europlanet effort)
>
> But for client point of view, and notably Aladin, it is more and more
> difficult to display and use correctly these new resources as there is
> presently no standard way to specify the celestial body concerned by
> each of these resources. Actually, in Aladin, we are face to two issues :
>
>  1. How to build correctly the data discovery tree ? Concretely, how to
>     move the good TAP, CS and other services to the Solar System branch ?
>  2. How to handle the incompatible projections (sky resources over
>     planets, or the opposite, or Mars data over Io, etc...) ?
>
> I progressed a little. For the first point, I made a very bad hack based
> on the ivoid. We're lucky, most solar system resources use EPN-core +
> DACHS server... and DACHS automatically uses an ivoid containing the
> substring "/epn". By magic, 35 resources are now placed in the Solar
> System branch. I also had to manually add 3 others resources (
> jacobsuni/tap, pvol/tap and vo-plasma.oeaw.ac.at/tap). The result is not
> bad (see below) but this method is clearly debatable. And there is no
> distinction between planets.
>
> For the second point, I have not found a solution. Only Solar System
> HiPS maps have a dedicated keyword for each body. But  as it is not the
> case for other resources of the Solar System, I can not presently use
> this keyword.
>
> *So the question : How to characterize Solar System resources in the VO ? *
>
>  1. For the VO registry, do we have to invent a dedicated field such as
>     <obsbody>mars</obsbody> ?
>  2. For TAP tables, how to specify that this table concerns this body,
>     or the sky ?
>  3. How to handle the list of celestial bodies ? Do we have to provide a
>     list (mercury, venus, earth, moon, mars, io,...) somewhere in the VO ?

I remind that at IMCCE we maintain since many years the full list of the
solar system object names, accessible throught a Web service and a REST
APIs. To date it concerns 843 845 objects with a little bit more than
3.5 million of names. It certainly the time to chain the celestial
object name resolver with our solar system name resolver.

cheers
jerome

--
--- Dr. Jerome Berthier ------------------ Phone: +33 (0)14051 2261 --
     Institut de mecanique celeste            Fax: +33 (0)14633 2834 --