VOTable 1.4 Working Draft

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 14:46:14 CET 2019

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> > "Status of This Document" section
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > The text here refers to REC status; it should be replaced by the
> > rubric from the DocStd Appendix, or some similar form of words:
> >
> >    "This is an IVOA Working Draft for review by IVOA members and other
> >     interested parties.  It is a draft document and may be updated,
> >     replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any time. It is
> >     inappropriate to use IVOA Working Drafts as reference materials or
> >     to cite them as other than ``work in progress''."
>
> Oh, right.  Declaration: I volunteer for curating a VOTable 1.5 right
> after 1.4 is through.  This would include a port to ivoatex (which
> automates these kinds of things), and the DALI and VOUnits
> references.
>
> Meanwhile, I think we should do a silent update of what's in the
> docrepo right now and just change the status declaration, as it is
> fairly miselading to outsiders (or later consumers).  Tom?

Only if anyone actually reads this bit - I doubt if it's going to
cause actual trouble.

> > Figures 3, 4
> > ------------
> >
> > A detail of the colouring on figure 4 was misleading, my mistake when
> > preparing the previous version.  I've made the necessary fix to the
> > java source in volute (the figures will need building again).
>
> I'd say that's also reasonable for a silent update of the current
> document in the docrepo.

If by "silent update" you mean changing the content but not the
datestamp, I don't think that's good practice: when reviewing these
things it's good to know what version you're actually looking at.
I'd just accumulate these items (e.g. make the changes in volute)
ready for the next datestamped document iteration.