REC for ASCII MOCs

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:58:37 CEST 2018

DaliNext http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DaliNext has a
placeholder for MOC and the intent is that DALI would be updated to define
the xtype primarily so that a MOC could be serialised in a single VOTable
cell in an interoperable way. DALI could be the place to define the syntax
or it could refer to a MOC standard directly if a syntax was normative.

Once you can serialise MOCs, they can be used as input (upload) and output
(select) in TAP... but using them elsewhere in the query requires some
support in ADQL-2.x: you have to be able to put a moc (column ref) into the
INTERSECTS function. I think that's really the minimum for use in RegTAP.
You don't really need a MOC function (constructor) -- would someone query
with a single MOC or enter one by hand? -- but for symmetry and
completeness it could be a stretch goal.

In TAPRegExt, support for specific geometry types generally is expressed by
saying the service supports POLYGON (eg) and it doesn't really
differentiate between the POLYGON function and supporting xtype="polygon"
columns in an uploaded table... so to add interoperable MOC support to TAP
the registry extension would need an update and we might need the
constructor function to do that.

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre