REC for ASCII MOCs

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Oct 24 11:47:58 CEST 2018

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> An alternative would be to take ASCII MOCs to DALI.  In the end, DALI
> will probably have to say something about MOCs anyway, as we'll need
> an xtype=MOC if we want to (interoperably) exchange MOCs in VOTable
> columns (which I want pretty much).  If we touch DALI, it might be a
> little less work if DALI described the format itself (we'd touch only
> one standard, not two of them).
>
> Opinions?

A general point: I am not convinced it's a good idea to make DALI
list all the xtypes we care about, since requiring a DALI update
when inventing an xtype elswhere in the standards landscape
introduces a hurdle that is IMHO unnecessarily painful -
this MOC thing is a case in point.

I agree that a central list of known xtypes is a useful thing to
have, but it could be in a Note outside of the standards process
or even (my vote) a wiki page.