[HiPS] HiPS network

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Jan 9 19:03:23 CET 2018

Dear Hipsers,

Some news concerning IVOA HiPS network developement/deployement, and a
registry question (at the end) :

1) I'm pleased to announce that several new HiPS nodes have already
been deployed since the Santiago Chili IVOA meeting. And some others are
in preparation :

  * 2x Canada : CADC =>  http://hips2.canfar.net/hipslist.txt ,
    http://hips.canfar.net/hipslist.txt
  * 1x Australia : ANU => http://skymapper.anu.edu.au/_HiPS/hipslist.txt
  * Some others are still in preparation : Chili/ChiVO, China/VO,
    2xUS/IPAC&HEASARC, Europe/ESO

Also, several big surveys and radio surveys have been recently
successfully "HiPSized":

  * PanSTARRs (g band) : the biggest HiPS never provided before (10
    trillion pixels, 200 mas resolution)
    => It can be browsed seamlessly from Aladin Lite
    <http://aladin.unistra.fr/AladinLite/?target=20%2043%2028.921%2B34%2040%2019.92&fov=180.00&survey=CDS%2FP%2FPanSTARRS%2FDR1%2Fg>,
    Aladin Desktop
    <http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/java/nph-aladin.pl?script=get%20HiPS%28CDS/P/PanSTARRS/DR1/g%29;get%20HiPS%28CDS/II/349/ps1%29>

  * Skymapper - all bands + color
  * VISTA VVV - Z-Y-J-H bands + color
  * Radio surveys: AMIGPS, DRAO-VillaElisa, DWINGELOO, EHBIS, GASS,
    MAIPU, MITEoR, URUMQI, WHAM

2) However, I bring to your attention that even we have now 14
"official" HiPS nodes, only 3 of them are really declared in the VO
registry.
So the question : Is the VO registry declaration too complex for HiPS
nodes ? How to facilitate these registrations ?

Cheers
Pierre Fernique