[UCD] Question about representation of HEALPix pixel IDs

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Apr 19 18:32:07 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I cross post this answer to Apps as it is related to VOTable.
I resume the question : *How to recognize/process HEALPix index column
in a VOTable ?*
Presently two ideas (presented below): one based on UCD specialization,
another based on DM

I propose a third one (close to what Markus was suggested):
As we have reintroduced COOSYS one year ago (VOTable erratum1), I
suggest to just add new words for the vocabulary of"system" attribut. We
have already the notion of "eq_FK5" or "eq_FK4", etc. It will be totally
coherent to have "eq_HEALPIX_NUNIQ" or "eq_HEALPIX_NESTED8" or
"gal_HEALPIX_RING10" (ie. frame_HEALPIX_NUMBERING[order]).

It would be a very simple and coherent solution (not a bad thing for
interoperability), immediately usable without any new standard extension
(already compatible with current VOTable REC).

         <RESOURCE>
*          <COOSYS ID="sys1" system="eq_HEALPIX_NUNIQ" />**
*          <TABLE>
              <FIELD name="npix"  ID="col1" ... *ref="sys1"*/>

And for the future, as for polar coordinate systems, when we will have a
more global DM solution accepted, we could move to the new solution.
Note that we can have several COOSYS lines if required (for HEALPix
column, for RA,DEC in such or such system...).

Cheers
Pierre