IVOA VOTable signature issue

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 24 18:32:44 CET 2017

Hi Lists,

[should we move this to DAL exclusively?]

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:40:33AM +0100, François Bonnarel wrote:
> 2 ) When you want to use Datalink from a protocol response which is not
> SIAV2 or ObsTap: let's say, SCS, SSA, SIAV1, TAP apart Obstap, SLAP or
> whatever, the best way to call it is to add a Datalink descriptor as Carlos
> did in his ASTERICS presentation. The list of IDs used by the DataLink
> service must be in one of main table columns to make this solution work.

Yes, adding a descriptor definitely is the preferred way to solve
this particular problem, but while client support isn't quite there
or to support special situations (e.g.: use the datalink URL in a
TOPCAT activation action), it would still be useful to be able to
annotate columns with URLs somewhat more precisely.
Previews/thumbnails are, for instance, a fairly similar case.

For those that aren't on the semantics list -- as a result of
discussions at the Asterics Tech Forum yesterday I revived a proposal
from 2014 that, I think, would solve this problem quite nicely:
http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/semantics/2017-March/002533.html

         -- Markus