s_region problem

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Dec 18 17:06:57 CET 2017

Hi all,

      I think Alberto and others arguments push to the following decision:

       Keep adql:region/stc-s as the xtype for s_region in ObsCore. (and
ObsTAP/SIAV2 services). Query parameter following adql:region should
also be accepted.

       The only major change required is in ADQL 2.1 where the "dropping
of REGION" should be suppressed as already proposed by Dave. TAP 1.1
doesn't require any change because it only recommands using new DALI
xtypes ( CIRCLE and POLYGON where datatype is an array of doubles) when
nothing  else is usefull/required. There is however a sentence in TAP
1.1 which says ADQL REGION type (for Queries, not as an xtype) is
dropped in ADQL spec. This sentence should be removed.

       For long terme evolution here are my thoughts:

            Outside ObsCore context, and when no complex shape is needed
the new xtype makes field typing and query managment easier. So it
should be used. s_region is not a "Region of Interest" in general. It is
the coverage of a dataset. Something very specific.

            The disparition of "string fields" for space features
doesn't seem to be possible in a short term. There is a need for a
string xtype looking like STC-S to describe shapes.

             Query by MOC is also something of great benefit to
applications.

            So I'm afraid 3 different xtypes should have to leave together.

            The inclusion of coordinate systems and frames in the STC-S
string is another story. I agree with Markus it could be nice to remove
that from the field value. By the way it is not breaking the STC-S
scheme because these metadata are optional. The default is UNKNOWN. IN
that case a "ref" from the field towards an appropriate coordinate
system structure in the VOTABLE could be enough.

            An idea (personal in that case) could be to extend the
VOTable COOSYS element by using attributes and subelements mapping the
stc "coordinate system" package.

            In the special case of ObsCore, the coordinate system is
already required to be ICRS by the standard.

Cheers

François