Time Series Cube DM - IVOA Note

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Apr 3 08:12:43 CEST 2017

Hi Petr,

Thanks to recall us all these basis points.

In the framework of the next release of Aladin 10, we recently
implemented (or tried to implement) a lot of  VO protocols (TAP,
VOSpace, SIAv2, Datalink, SODA, MOC, HiPS). The results is both
enthusiasming and disappointing. I'm enthusiasm because we can now
access to a lot of services and data, and a special "thanks" to RegTAP
(+ MOC) which has populated the VO registry in a real usable way. But
I'm also disappointed of the complexity required on the client for
implementing most of these protocols, and probably not always fully
justified.

It is indubitably true that writing a VO client tends to be more and
more complex. The "S" in "Simple Cone Search", "Simple Image Access",
"Simple Application Message..." has been forgotten last years.
Consequently,  the usage of dedicated libraries is often a pre-requise.
In my point of view, it is not a so good criteria for a standard. It
just means that it is (too?) difficult to start from scratch, from the
standard document specification, without having 6 months FTE for the work.

Additionally, good dedicated libraries are not so easy to find. If you
just consider VOTable, this standard is became really complex - probably
too complex for most of clients (multi RESOURCE, GROUP/ref, BINARY2,
FITS stream, base64-UTF16, remote data with expiration date...), and it
is difficult (impossible?) to find a parser/lib supporting all features
described in the last specification even after 8 years (VOTable 1.3 has
been released in 2009). And for instance, recent Astropy VOTable parser
does not manage (crash) GROUP tag yet. May be, we want to put too many
things in this protocol (and VODML future additions are not yet
arrived). If the complexity of VOTable is still increasing, the real
risk is to see appear a simpler JSON alternative definitively easier to
implement for the client - but that's also meaning that we will lost all
the benefits of the VO metadata agreements that VOTable had successfully
provided inside IVOA since 15 years.

I don't say that that the IVOA has not to manage "C"omplex metadata, I
just totally agree that "we may not (try to) cover everything". It would
be already no so bad to choose "S"imple solutions for the 80% of
"S"imple issues.

Best regards,
Pierre