Statistics metadata in TAP

Tom Donaldson tdonaldson at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 21 09:21:33 CEST 2016

Hello All,

At MAST, we are currently computing and using min and max for numeric columns, and of course could compute the other basic statistics.

Our main use of the min/max values is to define bin sizes for histograms that support the user interface for certain queries.  We also store histograms for discrete-valued columns.  It seems to me that it is worth considering adding this histogram information as optional TAP metadata.

We use 4 tables to store the histogram-related information.  Our default number of bins per column is 145, mostly because that gives a decent looking histgram in the UI without being too large.  I’m sure these could all be rearranged to some degree to make it more TAP-suitable, but the current tables look like this:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[histogramBins](
       [columnName] [varchar](32) NULL,
       [step] [int] NULL,
       [lb] [float] NULL,
       [hb] [float] NULL
)

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[histogramContinuous](
       [columnName] [varchar](32) NULL,
       [step] [int] NULL,
       [lb] [float] NULL,
       [hb] [float] NULL,