Aladin Lite beta version, fixing astrometry offsets

Thomas Boch thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
Tue May 3 15:29:26 CEST 2016

Dear all,

We are releasing a beta version of Aladin Lite, which fixes some offsets
which were visible on regions with
strongly distorted HiPS tiles.
This improvement was needed and awaited by several projects -- it will
of course benefit all Aladin Lite users

You can see the new version in action on these 2 test pages:
- http://cds.unistra.fr/~boch/AL/test-reduce-deformations.html  : the
view is centered on M81. If you disable the offset-correction by
deselecting the checkbox, you will see how this region was rendered
before the improvement.

- http://cds.unistra.fr/~boch/AL/test-reduce-deformations2.html  : the
polyline shows the Cassiopeia constellation.When disabling the
correction, you will notice the offset between the stars position and
the underlying image HiPS.

If you have a tool which makes use of Aladin Lite, you are encouraged to
test this new version and provide feedback. Javascript and CSS files are
available at
http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/AladinLite/api/v2/beta/aladin.min.js and
http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/AladinLite/api/v2/beta/aladin.min.css

The correction updates the ways HiPS are drawn in Aladin Lite, which now
uses the same algorithm as Aladin Desktop. HiPS by themselves stay
untouched. The new code does not seem to slow down the global rendering,
at least on the platforms I tested (Ubuntu + MacOS with latest versions
of Chrome and Firefox). Your tests are welcome to check if this remains
true on other setups.

I will present a few slides about this improvement at next week Interop
(Apps 2 session, on Thursday afternoon).

Cheers,
Thomas