HiPS IVOID issue

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jan 18 20:09:51 CET 2016

Hi Markus and others,

For helping to understand the problem at the good level, you can
consider that the HiPS challenge is comparable to the TAP challenge.
As TAP, we can imagine that some VO resources will provide directly a
dedicated HiPS capability in their corresponding VO registry records.
For these resources, there is no problem. But as the VO registry is not
really designed for hierarchical resources (catalog/table, survey/band,
...), this approach will be unfortunatelly limited.

Like for TAP table descriptions, it is presently difficult/impossible,
to describe all HiPS resources in the VO registry and we use a 2 step
mecanisms to discover and manipulate the HiPS descriptions. As your own
TAP global schema developement (GLoTS), we deployed a HiPS Global List
server harvesting each HiPS servers (called HiPS nodes, comparable to
TAP services) and used finally by the HiPS clients.
So concretly, in the VO registry, we plan to register the HiPS servers
(6 presently), rather than all HiPS resources provided by these HiPS
servers (about 20 000 HiPS in a few months, probably mirrored in several
places).

But even if these HiPS resources are not present individually in the VO
registry we need to identify them (in the client interfaces, for script
commands, for internal HiPS mirroring management...). And I arrive to my
identifier issue : logically we chose IVOA IVORN identification scheme,
now called IVOID in your last doc.  But as I said in my previous mail,
the last Identifier 2.0 doc does no longer allow the usage of IVOID
without a VO real registration (section 2.4). For instance, the way that
we identified the "smc" table of the I/221 catalog is now invalid: the
identificationivo://CDS.VizieR/I/221/smc is no longer a valid IVOID
because the "smc" table is not described in the VO registry. Only the
catalog I/221 catalog is declared=>
http://registry.euro-vo.org/GetResource.jsp?identifier=ivo://CDS.VizieR/I/221.

So we can decide, as you did in your last note, to have a "cavalier
approach" (section 3 -
http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/DataCollect/20160108/NOTE-discovercollections-1.0-20160108.pdf)
and just ignore the constraint. But I would like to use a more coherent
approach. May be, we have just to change the "MUST" word by "SHOULD" in
the IVOA PR-identifier 2.0 document - section 2.4 ?

I am also wondering if we should start to discuss how the VO registry
could also manage natively complex resources, notably hierarchical
resources and mirrored resources. In fact most of the resources that we
manipulate are hierarchical and mirrored. Perhaps it is a too big
challenge and the usage of specifical additional registry mecanisms such
as GLoTS and Global HiPS list is fine.

I hope this HiPS identifier problem related to the VO registry  is a
little bit more clear.
Cheers
Pierre

PS. Also - and that's why I still publish in the Registry mailing list
-  it seems that the EURO-VO registry is presently out of date, at least
for the example cited below, and since several months, I'm afraid. The
up-to-dated record from VizieR is this one:
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/reg-bin/vizier/oai_CS.pl?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo%3A%2F%2FCDS.VizieR%2FI%2F221
notably by providing two capabilities for CONE SEARCH, one for each
individual table (not really easy to use, but there is presently no
other good VO registry solution for that). EURO-VO still have the old
record version providing only one CONE SEARCH capability declaration
(only for the first table I am afraid).