Marking up HEALPix index columns in VOTable

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 18:55:31 CEST 2016

[I've crossposted this to apps and semantics, but I suggest
followups to Apps only]

Dear colleagues,

Gregory Mantelet, Markus Demleitner and I have been having some
discussions about exchange of HEALPix maps within the VO.

The type of data we're considering is a table for which one column
contains a HEALPix index (an integer which identifies a tile on the sky),
and other columns contain quantities relating to to that tile
(source density, extinction, mean G magnitude, whatever).
The question we're trying to answer is: how does a data producer
mark up the healpix-index column in a VOTable so that consumers
can recognise it as such?

The following UCD1+ is defined:

    Q  |  pos.healpix      |  Hierarchical Equal Area IsoLatitude Pixelization

So far so good; however, marking up a column like this provides
insufficient information to make it useful, because to make sense
of a HEALPix index you need to know what Order N of tiling it represents
(HEALPix splits the sky into 12*4^N tiles, where N is an integer
that for practical purposes falls in the range 0..29).
Since UCD words cannot be parameterised (beyond composing them with
other UCD words) there doesn't seem to be any way to encode this
Order information in the UCD.

Markus's clever idea is to do something like this:

     <FIELD datatype="int" ucd="pos.healpix">
       <VALUES type="legal">
         <MAX>49151</MAX>
       </VALUES>
     </FIELD>

Since the legal maximum value for the column is 49151 (=12*(4^6)-1),
it's possible to infer that N=6 for this healpix column.  Note that
since type="legal" this does not say that the actual contents of
the column hit that maximum (i.e. some pixels might be absent, but the
declaration would not change).

This is kind of horrible, but at the same time the meaning is fairly
unambiguous, and it requires no new standardisation activity.
So, we are likely to go ahead with marking up HEALPix columns in
this way (Markus's and Gregory's services will emit VOTables like
this, and topcat will understand them) unless anybody persuades
us different.

We have considered various other options too, but on balance we
think they're even worse.  Briefly:

   - Abuse UCDs by trying to parameterise them:
        pos.healpix(6)?
        pos.healpix;index=6?

   - Introduce new UCD words to (0<=N<=29, so the number of new words
     would be quite, but not ridiculously, large):
        pos.healpix0, pos.healpix1, ... pos.healpix29?
        pos.healpix;arith.0, pos.healpix;arith.1, ... pos.healpix;arith.29

   - Xtype magic:
        xtype="healpix(6)"
        xtype="tilings:healpix(6)"

   - Some table-level indication of the order:
        <TABLE>
          <PARAM name="healpix-order" datatype="int" value="6">
          <FIELD datatype=int ucd="pos.healpix"/>
        </TABLE>
      this would work because in practice, it's hard to imagine you
      could have multiple columns in a single table with different
      healpix orders.  This is somewhat analogous to how the
      ad-hoc FITS healpix serialization works.
      Note it still needs some convention to identify the healpix-order
      PARAM.

   - Some business with GROUP/FIELDref/PARAM elements at table level.
     Note this also needs some convention to identify the healpix-order.

   - Reinvent UCD syntax????

Actually it is even worse than this: there are two alternative
conventional schemes for assigning HEALPix indices to a tiling
at a given order, known as NESTED and RING, and you need to know
which one is intended.  Furthermore, the actual sky position
corresponding to a given pixel is dependent on how the tiling is
attached to the celestial sphere (e.g. equatorial, ecliptic, galactic).
So even if you know N you don't have enough explicit information
to make sense of a healpix index.  However, we are currently
following MOC in assuming the NESTED scheme, and it's probably
reasonable to take the sky system as implicit, so we're ignoring
those details for now.

Any bright ideas, wise comments etc welcome.