New Release CDS/ARI Libraries: UWS, ADQL, TAP

Grégory Mantelet gmantele at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri May 15 11:12:48 CEST 2015

Hello Apps and Grid lists,

     New release of the CDS/ARI's TAP, UWS and ADQL libraries are
finally available! They are respectively version 2.0, 4.1 and 1.3.

     You can download them here:
         - http://cdsportal.u-strasbg.fr/taptuto
         - http://cdsportal.u-strasbg.fr/uwstuto
         - http://cdsportal.u-strasbg.fr/adqltuto

     PS: Java >= 1.6 is required.

About the TAP Library
------------------------------

     It is now about a year that I am working to make it more stable and
conform to the IVOA Recommendation. Thanks to feedbacks of several
users, a lot of bugs have been fixed. Some parts, like UPLOAD, have been
re-designed properly. And new features are also available, like:
         * TAP configuration file (it lets create a TAP service with
just one text file ; no more need to write 3 classes + 1 servlet)
         * 2 new metadata definition methods (1/ an XML file (same
content as VOSI-tables), 2/ import from the database schema TAP_SCHEMA)
         * Result formatting with STIL...and additional formats (e.g.
FITS, HTML) are also provided
         * Better STC-S support
         * Easier declaration of UDFs
         * etc...

     A longer list is available at
http://cdsportal.u-strasbg.fr/taptuto/news.html , but considering the
amount of modifications, even this list is not complete ; if you really
want to see all of them, I invite you to take a look to the GitHub
project: http://github.com/gmantele/taplib

     The full documentation of this TAP Library is not yet complete
(only the part about the TAP configuration file is there), but it will
be updated little by little in the next months.

     A Getting Started page and the Javadoc are however available and
will help you creating a TAP service in few steps.

     If you used the previous version, you should know that the new
version is unfortunately not backward compatible ; it was indeed needed
to get a stable and easier-to-use library. However, you will find a
migration help at the following URL to help you performing the migration
as easily as possible:
http://cdsportal.u-strasbg.fr/taptuto/migration1to2.html

About the UWS and ADQL Libraries

     In addition of this new TAP Library release, there are also a new
sub-version for the UWS and ADQL libraries: respectively 4.1 and 1.3.
They are included in the last release of the TAP Library.

     Both of them are backward compatible with respectively 4.x and 1.x
versions. Modifications are mainly bug corrections and addition of some
features.

/!\ Warning about the UWS Library:
     No documentation nor Getting Started are yet available! As for the
TAP Library, it will be completed little by little in the next months.
While waiting you can take a look to the examples provided on the web-site.
     On the contrary, the ADQL Library still have its full and updated
documentation.

     Voilà! I hope these new releases will help those who were waiting
for them for a so long time and I hope it will be helpful for those who
did not know them yet. In all cases, if you have some questions or need
some help concerning these three libraries, I will be glad to answer you
as fast as I can.

Cheers,

Grégory Mantelet
gmantele at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Astronomisches Rechen Institut (ARI)
Mönchhofstr. 12-14 - 69120 Heidelberg  - Germany