June Newsletter preparation

Msolar msolar at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue May 5 19:29:08 CEST 2015

Dear August,

On behalf of ChiVO I am sending the following news to be included in the
next IVOA newsletter.

On April 24th the Chilean Virtual Observatory (ChiVO) was officially
launched to the community in a seminar held at Technical University
Federico Santa María,
Valparaíso, Chile.

The highlights of the seminar were,
    - First dataset: ChiVO offers all the ALMA Cycle 0 FITS
      (http://chivo.cl/resources/data.html), which are accessible
through the
      IVOA registry under SCS, SIA and TAP protocols.
    - Web portal: with information about ChiVO and a web-based interface to
      SCS, SIA and SSA protocols (http://www.chivo.cl)
    - Ongoing projects: presentation of the prototype tools for
      intelligent data analysis, automatic source identification and
      smart indexing, strongly focused on ALMA-like spectroscopic data
cubes.
    - Community feed: a meeting was held with local astronomers
interested on
      publishing their datasets through ChiVO, in order to explain and
      collaborate on this process.

Please note that though ChiVO is up and running, the core services will soon
be migrated to a dedicated data center for astronomy, which will allow
ChiVO to properly growth as needed.

Best regards,
Mauricio Solar.